August 2019: Athlete of the Month – Jose Genao
What inspired you start CrossFit? How did your journey begin?
- I’m a very active husband and father and I’ll do anything to see my wife and kids happy so I’d have to say that my greatest inspiration was my family. Prior to joining CrossFit, I was out of shape and started to develop a “dad bod” after the birth of our daughter; three years later, we were expecting our son, and I realized that I needed to be in better shape and health if I wanted to keep up with him and insure that I could be around for a long time to see them both grow up.
Tell us a little bit about yourself…what’s is a typical day for you? Anything you’d like to share?
- I’m a very laid back person who enjoys laughing and being with my family. My job requires that I work crazy hours every day in a high-stress environment and my work days are usually longer than the average person. So naturally, I enjoy any outlet that allows me to escape that- my new fitness regimen with CrossFit has become that for me. My average day involves spending time with my kids then heading to the gym before work.
What was your athletic background before CrossFit?
- I’ve played football and basketball. At one point, I was big into weightlifting, but CrossFit changed my perspective on that because I learned that you don’t strictly need heavy weights to get a fulfilling workout.
What has been your favorite CrossFit memory?
I remember my first Metcon, it was TERRIBLE….it was wallballs, HSPU and something else, but I thought to myself after it was over “What the hell is wrong with me?”. After months of learning different techniques, I finally accomplished my first ring muscle up and I felt like I was ready for the CrossFit games…Matt Fraser here I come.
What is your favorite exercise/movement or workout, and what is your least favorite?
- My favorite movement is HSPU or anything with upper body. Thrusters and DUBS are my least favorite but it’s a love &hate thing, because if the movement challenges me, I love it until it breaks me
What do you feel has been the biggest fitness goal or movement/skill you have achieved so far?
The Festivus Games has been by biggest fitness goal to date. I didn’t know what to expect when I signed up for it but I knew I wanted the challenge. Then my team was called as third place winners and I felt like I was on top of the word. CrossFit Games Here I come again…..lol
What is at least one fitness goal you have for yourself in the future?
My aim is to sign up for more competitions so I can keep challenging myself and grow into a more well-rounded CrossFit athlete.
Who inspires you/who is your hero and why?
- Without a doubt, my greatest inspiration is my wife and kids. My daughter often tells me that I remind her of the Incredible Hulk because I’m strong she says, so I guess my hero is the Incredible Hulk…maybe one day, I’ll really be that strong
What advice would you give people just starting CrossFit?
This fitness journey takes real commitment. My advice to anyone starting out is to try hard to stick with it, even though it gets tough at times. If you can manage to make it through the muscle fatigue and calloused hands…it will be worth it. The results will be amazing. Not only will others around you see the physical transformation but you will feel more confident and energized than you could imagine