July 2019: Athlete of the Month – Coach Alex L
What inspired you start CrossFit? How did your journey begin?
- I moved to New York August of 2018 and got bored with running as my only source of exercise so I decided that I needed to start doing some strength training but didn’t want to lose my cardio. More importantly though I wanted to meet new people and make some new friends so I decided to finally give CrossFit a try.
Tell us a little bit about yourself…what’s is a typical day for you? Anything you’d like to share?
- I am currently an officer in the United States Army on active duty. My current assignment is as an instructor at West Point. I will be stationed here for the next two years and then the Army will move me somewhere new. A day in the life of CPT Lostetter this summer is coordinating the logistical support for West Point’s Cadet Basic Training. Come the school year I will be an instructor and the branch representative for the Logistics branches.
What was your athletic background before CrossFit?
- I grew up as a multi sport athlete playing a variety of sports. I pursued soccer at the collegiate level and played all four years during my time at West Point.
What has been your favorite CrossFit memory?
Hands down the people. I really enjoy meeting new people and the community at BMCF is amazing. Also the CrossFit Open was really fun.
What is your favorite exercise/movement or workout, and what is your least favorite?
- Most favorite: Burpees (really anything cardio. I do like the bike I won’t lie) Least Favorite: Squat Snatches
What do you feel has been the biggest fitness goal or movement/skill you have achieved so far?
What is at least one fitness goal you have for yourself in the future?
String Some Bar Muscle Ups together and get stronger (back/front squat)
Who inspires you/who is your hero and why?
- My mom, dad and brother inspire me everyday. They have taught me and continue to teach me that life is not always having and getting everything that you want and to always make the best of any situation. Through hard work comes success…never expect anything to be handed to you in life.
What advice would you give people just starting CrossFit?